Accessing Eircom email while abroad
James
2003-08-11 14:44:24 UTC
I have had a lot of difficulty accessing my Eircom email while travelling in
the Far East & Australia.

My previous ISP provided a web browser service to access emails from my POP
account when travelling and I could finally download them to Outlook Express
when I got home. Indeed third party services also support this & it worked
fine

I assumed the Eircom webmail service provided the same facility with my POP
account? However at most locations I tried to access it, although I could
login, when I clicked on INBOX I received an error message that the session
had timed out and I would have to log in again! This repeated almost every
time I logged in. Very occasionally I did access the INBOX and could see a
list of emails but again if I clicked on an email I got the "session
timed-out" error. Interestingly, at one Internet Cafe running a Unix
system & browser I had no trouble accessing my Eircom webmail?

The other problem I now find is that all emails accessed with Eircom webmail
while travelling can no longer be downloaded from my POP account at home
although I can still see them in my webmail account?

So my questions:

(1) Can I use Eircom webmail to access my email anywhere when travelling (or
should I use a third party service)? If so why did I have these problems?
If not what are the restrictions?

(2) Can I download emails already viewed to Outlook Express later when I get
home? e.g. are they available on a different server?
James
2003-08-12 09:42:02 UTC
Mon, thanks for replying.

On Eircom's webmail service I cannot see how I can set up their webmail to
retain the mail on the server? In fact, the mail is still available when
accessed using webmail but no longer available to download from the pop
account? It's as if Eircom have a separate webmail server and if you
access your email using webmail it copies the mail from the pop server and
deletes it off the pop server. This is unlike services such as
mailreader.com which allow you to view the mail directly on the pop server.

I had not heard of Maglobe but I assume you need to carry a laptop which I
do not like doing e.g. on holidays just to have a quick check of email.
You are right that it's important to be careful not to leave a trail which
could compromise your email security but I am careful and have never had a
problem (yet!).

The services I tried were high speed so this probably did not contribute to
the session time out problem and I am more inclined to think you are right
that Eircom have restricted access in some countries.

I will have a look at kropla.com.

Regards
On question 2, first, unless you set up the webmail to retain the mail on
the server, it will not be available when you log in at home.
I use Maglobe, which is a subscription service, and has local dial-in
numbers in most countries. This saves on going to internet cafes, where
access might be poor. It lets me use Outlook express on my laptop, after
dialling up, so its the same as being at home.
If you don't have a laptop when travelling, I presume you make sure that
you
don't leave a trail to sensitive material on the machines in the internet
cafes?
It could be that,
the lines are very slow (not too likely now)
eircom has blocked some sources (possible)
some other setting on the machines is incompatible, (really not likely).
Check out www.kropla.com (Help for World Travellers) which has lots of
useful info.
MON
Leon

James
2003-08-12 15:48:15 UTC
Thanks Leon, there are several third party services including mail2web which
are quite good. I have also used www.mailreader.com

My preference would have been to use Eircom's service rather than plugging
my login & password into a third party service thus my frustration with
trying to get it to work. I had hoped maybe an Eircom tech rep would have
responded, Oh well...
Post by James
the Far East & Australia.
My previous ISP provided a web browser service to access emails from
my
Post by James
POP
Post by James
fine
I assumed the Eircom webmail service provided the same facility with
my
Post by James
POP
Post by James
Post by James
although I can still see them in my webmail account?
(1) Can I use Eircom webmail to access my email anywhere when
travelling
Post by James
(or
Post by James
If not what are the restrictions?
(2) Can I download emails already viewed to Outlook Express later
when
Post by Leon
Post by James
get
Ute Bohnsack
2003-08-19 09:57:04 UTC
someone in this very forum advised me to use
http://webmail.vianetworks.ie
which I have done while travelling. It's free, easy to use, and I'm
quite happy with it.
However, I do understand your sentiment about giving your access details
to a third party and would also very much prefer if eircom offered a
service that would allow one to download the mails one accessed using
webmail when back home rather having them stuck in the webmail service.

Slán,
Ute